Page 168

"The team harness and wagon that we had bought was not all paid for. Mr. McNutt had gotten permission to bring it down to work in the coal fields, but he had not had enough work to pay for the horses. So he wrote the owner and asked if he could bring them back. The man replied that if Lyme would bring the team down he could keep the wagon. and he would pay his way back on the train. We had sold our little pony and outfit to pay on the team. So Lyme road one horse and led the other clear across the state of Nebraska. When he returned he decided to join my brother Len Mowrey in Spokane.

Carl was only four months old when Lyme boarded the train at Washington, Kansas. After buying his ticket he had only $2.00 in his pocket with a three or four day trip ahead of him. The baby and I were to board with my cousin. Then, after Lyme had gone I suddenly realized I hadn't a cent to buy even a postage stamp to write to him. So I sold the 12 quarts of canned pears for fifty cents for the lot, to get postage money.

In February, 1895, Carl had pneumonia and was a very, very sick baby. By that time we were out in the country with another cousin. Went into Hollenburg, Kansas for a doctor. When he looked at Carl and left a prescription for him, he said, "If this medicine works he will be all right. If not, it's just too bad." That frightened me. This cousin of mine had children and knew how to care for him better than I. So I took over the housework and let her nurse him. It was awfully cold that February, but she pulled him through.

George Scruby, my adopted brother, had already taken a claim in the Promised Land, in 1888, five miles northwest of Humptulips, Washington Territory. He kept writing for his brother Johnnie to come. Finally, he decided to do so. I was getting ready to take him to the train when he asked me; "How long would it take you to get ready to go along?" Well, we all pitched in and did the work and the washing, and I left with him the next day. He paid my fare West.

I did not write to Mr. McNutt until I got to Portland. He had taken a job at Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, in the mines. He secured it by going there every shift, until the foreman finally said he might as well hire him. He was there all the time anyway. Just a few days after he started to work he received the card I wrote him saying I was out here."