Page 165

The ninth child, Carson, born in 1877 in New Canton, Ill., died in 1902 of complications following smallpox and diptheria. He had been engaged in logging and in the butchering business in Humptulips.

Adrienne, the tenth child, was born in 1880. She married Otis Roberts of Humptulips in 1910. They moved to Olympia. Their two daughters are Alice Follsvaag and Dorothy Malgrem, both of Olympia. Mabel, born in 1883, was graduated from Hoquiam High School in 1900.

Other members of the class were:

Homer Dunning
Emma Kraft (Loomis)
Bert Lyon
Horace Porter
and Perl Willis (McBroom)

In 1901, Mabel married Will Kendrick who had a claim in the Promised Land. To them were born three children: Carson, John, and Elizabeth, who died in 1938. Will Kendrick died in 1909. In 1912, Mabel married Warner E. Preston, who survived her.

Ben says:

"My parents, my four brothers, and three sisters, and myself, traveled up the Humptulips River in two canoes to stake a homestead. We had come from New Canton, Illinois, by train as far as Montesano, then to Hoquiam on the old "Montesano", a water-wheel boat. An Indian sailboat took us to the mouth of the Humptulips where we camped for the night with the Indians and arranged for guides to take us the twenty-two miles up river.

A one-eyed Indian named Kettle was hired by Father with the understanding that another Indian named Ottook was to paddle the other canoe."

Concerning him, William Melchoir, teacher at Humptulips during the school term of 1892-3 relates the following incident:

"On the lower Humptulips there was a Siwash Indian settlement. Some fatal sickness struck down Ottook's little girl. The Indian medicine man tried his arts; collected quite a sum ofmoney, but failed to cure her. Thereupon Ottook slew the medicine man. The Sheriff promptly landed the murderer in the county jail at Montesano. But, in less than two weeks, the jail was broken open and the prisoner released.

After a time, hearing that the escaped prisoner sold fish every Saturday at Humptulips, the Sheriff came there to make his catch. At the usual time the Indian with his squaw came poling their canoe to the landing. The Sheriff with his trusty Winchester halted the two, but was outwitted by Ottook.

No sooner did he recognize the Sheriff than he plunged headlong into the River and disappeared. His faithful squaw pushed the canoe into midstream and the swift current carried them out of sight in a jiffy. Deciding that the Indian had drowned, the Sheriff left. However, bystanders said that Ottook hid on the far side of the canoe until out of sight of the landing. He was never again jailed for the offense."