Page 152


The Kelloggs, Charles and Elizabeth, lived on the claim for many years. Their son Alton, called Allen, was operating a barber shop in Hoquiam at the time of the dark day of 1902.

Mabel Kellogg Davidson says:

"Allen and I were married in April, 1902. We set up housekeeping in his folks' home while they were living on a timber claim in the Humptulips country. Ben Newnham came into the barber shop and told Allen that his father had had an accident, cutting his foot very badly, while felling a tree. We thought Allen should go up there and see him. After thinking it over, Allen said that he wanted me to go with him, and that we would ride our bicycles. I said, "Very well, I'll go."

The next morning we arose bright and early and made ready to go. This particular day was September 12, 1902 - Hoquiam's Dark Day. At six o'clock it was so dark and smoky one couldn't see fifteen feet away, so we waited for the smoke to clear up. About noon, as it was no better, Allen went into town to see what really was the matter. Everyone was alarmed and thought the end of the world had come. Some thought Hoquiam would be taken by fire. Much as we would have liked to go to the Promised Land, we could not that day.

Naturally, Allen and I were terribly worried over our dearest possessions, such as silverware, wedding presents, valuable papers, and many of Kellogg's treasures. So, Allen decided he would dig a deep hole in the back yard, construct a box about four times as large as an apple crate and sink it into the ground. We lined it carefully with papers and put in all our most important possessions. (I even put in a few of my good dresses.) Then he covered it with boards and piled wood over it, for we didn't expect there would be anything left on the place when we returned.

And yet, he was so concerned over his folks - for his mother was not well either - that we couldn't worry too much over what took place after our departure.

By the next morning the smoke had partially cleared away. We could see twenty or twenty-five feet ahead of us. We started out. All we took with us was a little lunch tied on the handlebars. Allen had a bicycle racer for years and was also very light for a man (125 lbs). I knew it was going to be a hard journey for me, as I was not used to riding bicycles, and then I weighed 145 pounds."