Page 144

"Earnest continued the mail route until June, then sold out to Harry Evans. He lacked one year of finishing his contract. Then he took the Civil Service examination in July, at Tacoma.

When his appointment was received, his work took him to the Lake. Two years later we again moved there. In August 1909 Earnest was appointed Deputy Supervisor of U.S. Forest Service, and we moved to Olympia in October. Remained there until February. The place on which we now live was then opened for filing, so Earnest resigned his office and filed on his homestead in the Burn - 14 miles north of Humptulips and five miles south of Lake Quinault. (The Burn is now known as Neilton.)

Next, Earnest built a quarter of a mile of road so we could move our household goods in. Mr. McAfee did the freighting.

We arrived just at sunset on May 5, 1910. I sat in the buckboard with three babies - Esther - four; Alta - two; and Ralph - five months; waiting for them to put up a tent for us to sleep in. We lived in tents all summer while they were building our house. We moved into it on Sept. 1, 1910, and have resided here ever since.

Here our four younger children were born: Dorcas, Edward, Lawrence, and June. Paul, Esther, and Alta were born in Humptulips, Ralph in Olympia, and Asa and Earnest, Jr. (deceased) in Illinois."

In 1912, Earnest Fishel was elected County Commissioner from the third district. During his term of office the Humptulips-Quinault road was built. Continuing his public service, he was associated with state and county highway maintenance crews and also worked for the park service. He served on the Quinault School Board, and was instrumental in obtaining accreditation for the Quinault high school.

Mr. Fishel was a member of the Re-organized Church of Latter Day Saints, and served as elder in both the Hoquiam and the Neilton churches. He was a charter member of the Humptulips Pioneer Association and served as Chaplain of that group for many years.

Mrs. Elizabeth Fishel passed away in May, 1948. Earnest, who had been living with his son, Asa , died July 11, 1957, six days after the death of his friend, "Bud" Loomis. Surviving him are nine children: Mrs. Esther Havens, Montesano; Mrs. Alta McInnes, Aberdeen; Mrs. Dorcas Trafton, Toledo; Mrs. June-Watters, Neilton; Asa Fishel, Neilton; Paul Fishel, Vancouver, Wash.; Ralph and Edward Fishel, Neilton; and Lawrence Fishel, Seattle.