Page 143

"Almost all the men were gone as they were working on the road between Humptulips and the Lake. So we decided we would put up their notices for them. She and I ran up as far as what is now known as the Earnest Olson place, putting the Haas name on the Adam's place. When we got back home, I decided to make a trip to Mrs. Ingram's, leaving Asa and Paul at home. When I told her about the morning trip she asked me if we had a place. I said we had, but I couldn't get there. She said I must. So, she and Mr. Ingram took Ruth, sent Robert and Ollie after my boys, gave me bread and matches and walked to the Lake with me. Then we rowed a boat down to the lower end of the Lake. There they left me and returned home to take care of the children till I came back.

At this place, there was an old barn where Earnest kept his pack ponies, so there was plenty of hay to sleep on. But, everything was damp and a fire hard to build. However, I worked fast and got it started before dark. Just at dusk, I heard the tramping of feet, and in a few minutes around the bend in the road came all the valley men who had heard the news and were rushing in ahead of the crowd. When I told them what Mrs. Haas and I had done, they were glad.

In the crowd was Mr. Eherwine. He had a little burro which he left there. That was all the company I had. However, he proved to be very good company. He stood by my fire and begged for part of my bread.

When I got sleepy I went to bed by the light of the fire which shone into the barn. I remained there until the next evening when Earnest came in with the mail. Then I found out that it was not this land that was opened, but was some other place. (It was all a big mistake, as described by Bud Loomis).

We remained on the Ewell place until the 8th of January, 1905. But the days were so short. Earnest would get home late Saturday night and would return to the Ewell Hotel on Sunday evening, leaving the children and me all week alone. When the river would rise and water would get out of bounds, I would do up my chores, turn the calf out with the cow so they could go to high ground, take Paul on my back, leading Asa, and go down to Mr. Ingram's and stay there until the danger was over. Then Mr. Ingram would put us on old Patsy and take us home. This we did several times. At last, I became afraid for our lives, because each time the river bank came closer to the house.

Earnest then decided to get a lease, fix up the old barn where he kept his horses, and move us there. The manger for the horses was up against the outside of the house. We had one big room when we got settled. We had kitchen, dining room, bedroom and living room, all in one. One part of the floor had a carpet, which was our living room. We had the heating stove there. In another corner was our bed, and in still another the kitchen stove. We remained there until April when we returned to Humptulips."