Page 109

My mother was overjoyed to see me. Not until I almost reached my majority would she consent to me leaving home again. Two years later, I decided to return to America, coming over on the same boat in Feburary, 1874. After landing in New York I went to London, Canada where many of my mother's relatives lived.

Meanwhile, on my wife's side, William Wilson, a butcher by trade and Elizabeth Wilson, settled in London Township, England, on a large farm of about 150 acres along the river Thames. They had six children, William, Edwin, Jack, Nels, Hannah, and Esther, who was born March 8, 1847 after they migrated to London Canada. I became acquainted with her through my cousins, and we were married March 31, 1875. I stayed and worked on the place after our marriage. Our two eldest children were born there- Charles F.W. on May 12, 1876 and Bertha May on October 1, 1878.

This same fall, Ed Wilson, my wife's brother, and I drove two teams of horses on a trip to Michigan to look for land to buy. Both worked our teams in the woods during that winter. Deciding to remain, I brought the family to live there. During the time we resided on this farm our three younger children were born-Harry Edward, on April 27, 1881; Ernest Albert, Feb. 24, 1886; and Ethel Mand, April 16, 1888. We remained on the farm until 1888 and became fast friends of the Sanders family. During this time I took a trip to Colorado and worked a year on the railroad which crossed the entire state.

Then my brother-in-law and I again started, this time obeying the command of Morace Greely, "Go West, young man. Go West." Found work on a milk ranch out from Ellensburg, Washington. Sent for Mrs. Evans and the children, Ethel being a small baby. I worked there about two years. Then, hearing of the wonderful timber of the Grays Harbor country, I started out to locate a timber claim, arriving in Humptulips in November, 1889. There was nothing much in Hoquiam then but a mill. However, Grays Harbor City was at the height of it prosperity.